Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tessaroos

On August 12th we lost our dog Tessy. Ryan called me while we were swimming at Deseret Peak during my Mom's visit and asked where the dog was. I realized I never put her in her kennel before we left, but she wasn't around. She must have snuck out while we were all loading cars to leave.
2004- The first week she joined our family

This isn't the first time Tessy has run away.We've been lucky in the past, one time she just happened to be recognized my a family friend. We've learned that she usually sticks the sidewalk and ends up on the street behind ours. This time Ryan and I both drove around for a quite while, but couldn't find her. To add insult to injury, she didn't have her collar on that had our contact info. Any dog owner knows how noisy those tags can be... I usually have a piece of material wrapped around her collar to keep the tag from jingling but it had recently broke, so I just took off her collar until I could fix it again. PLUS... she does have chip, but it's not registered with us because I don't know the chip number.
2005

2006
I posted her picture on facebook and asked for help finding her. A friend from High School told me he saw the police loading up a dog like that just down the street from where we lived. I called dispatch and sure enough, they had picked up a beagle that night but we wouldn't be able to check with the animal shelter until Monday.
2007

2008
Needless to say the weekend was a little tense at our house. Even though Ryan said he didn't blame me, I sure felt guilty that I had lost his dog. To top it off, it was his birthday that weekend, so that wasn't exactly the best way to celebrate it!
 2009
Monday morning I was heading to the shelter as soon as I could. As I was loading Andrea, the shelter called and said "we do have a beagle, but she had a blue and white collar on and no tattoo under her ear". I was feeling really discouraged, but headed down anyway to see for myself. When I arrived the attendant said "I think I was looking at the wrong beagle when I called". When she brought Tessy out, I couldn't help but cry. Seeing your dog, is like seeing your child, there was no doubt it was her.
2010

She was filthy (with urine) and her stomach was pretty bloated. I took her to Ryan's parents because I was heading to the zoo with my Mom and brother's family, and I really didn't want to put Tessy in her kennel. Gary helped me give Tessy a quick hose bath outside and we were off. When I came to get her that night her stomach looked worse and she couldn't really walk. Ryan and I were really scared, we didn't know if she was hit by a car, or was starved all weekend, but turns out she just needed to "relieve" herself. After a much needed potty break the next morning she was back to her old self.
2011- New Collar
 Now you'd never know she left... she tells us when it's dinner time, follows Andrea everywhere, and still tries to run away when she is in the front yard. I've now got her a collar with her name and phone number embroidered on it from gotags.com, so no jingling! Plus, the shelter was nice enough to scan her chip for me so we can register her in our name. Her little adventure gave Ryan and I a glimpse of what it will be like when we have to say goodbye to our dog, and I don't think either of us are ready!

1 comment:

Stacee Maree said...

Oh that worried me I even cried for you.