Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First Day of Preschool

One benefit of living in a "not so wealthy" part of town is we have a Title 1 school nearby.  Which gets enough extra funding that they offer a free preschool.  The pre-screenings were in the spring and Andrea was lucky enough to get in.  It's four days a week, two hours a day, completely free, we are going to love it!

Andrea's cousin Roland also got in, he was put in the 11:15-1:15 class while Andrea was put in the 9:00-11:00 class.  Since Amy was already taking Brigitta to school there at 9:00, she thought switching would work better for her.  I was all for the later time since it meant letting Andrea sleep as late as she wanted, and also breaking up the day a little more for her.  Luckily the teachers were fine with the switch and they both started school today. 

I wasn't going to get Andrea a bunch of new school clothes because I know she'll need winter ones.  But we did pick out one outfit online and then she spotted a shirt with a doggie, and a flower, and a bike that said "Let's go to class", talk about the perfect storm, it was a must have in her mind. So I had to give in and buy the shirt as well.

 
Her backpack she picked out over a month ago, we looked online and she was very excited about this one.  It's not what I would have picked, but she is very proud of it, and since it's not princess, or Dora, or Tinker Bell, I won't complain!
Her and I chose to walk to school the first day, and I'm hoping we can do that most days, we were a little early, but at least we know now how long it takes.
 
She was very excited to find her name on the wall.
 And found her name tag, there were quite a few A names though, so it took her a second.
 
There are quite a few kids in her class from church, Emyli, Ada, and Addy, so I think she'll do okay.  She first sat next to Jaxson, who is the son of some our friends but she doesn't know Jaxson yet. 
She was only a little hesitant to let me leave, she tried giving me clay heart she made to remember her while she's gone.  And I told her that was so sweet, but I probably shouldn't take the teacher's clay home.  Well, turns out the teachers let them take the clay home, so she told next time I can take the heart with me. 

After school she was so excited to tell me about her day.  Listening to her on the way home was so cute I could hardly stand it.  She even went into detail about how they told them to put their napkin inside their milk carton before they threw it away.  And how she went down the twisty slide on her tummy.  And that they got to play instruments to music, she got the maracas and the tambourine.  And how they got stuff to take home so they can play "school" at home.  Actually it was a packet of school supplies put together by the PTA, but that works. 
I'm so happy she loves preschool.  What an exciting step in her little world!

3 comments:

Tati said...

She is too cute! Glad she had so much fun!!!

Joan said...

I love all the detail you put in here. Fun for Grandma's to read and also a good way for you and her to remember the day in years to come.

Hayley said...

How fun! Four days a week?! I'M JEALOUS. The twins go twice a week for 2.5 hrs, on opposite times, so no me time for me this year! I'll survive.

She sure looks cute! Glad she loved it!