Monday, January 16, 2012

Grandma Helen

On December 29th, 2011 Ryan's Grandma, Helen Baumgartner, passed away. It didn't come as a surprise, she was 91, and the last few weeks were very evident, but it's still always tough when it actually happens.
I was glad I got to know Helen for 8 years of our marriage and when I first met her she was a very smart, funny lady who's body was giving out much sooner than her body. She had lost her eye sight and her hearing quite a while ago but she always knew exactly who we were and was up to date on all that was happening in our lives. I'm honored that she was present at our wedding and got to know Andrea as long as she did.
The last time Ryan and I visited her was in October and she was the same old Grandma, was even kicking a ball down the hall with the grand kids, it's amazing how quickly things can change.

Ryan and I love trips to Cedar City, it's so nice to spend time with Ryan's brother Matt and his family. This time was different, no trips to St. George, no shopping, just a lot of family time, and time spent remembering Grandma :)

Each of the grand kids and great grand kids were able to write what they remember about Grandma on a note and place it in the casket. Ryan's note made me cry, he really is a sentimental guy even though most people would never know it. The things I remember about Grandma Helen is that she always wore a dress, she made cookies with gumdrops in them (which I had never experienced before), she could remember so much, and one day her and I were sitting alone and she told me all about her wedding day. She could remember every detail, the name of the store she bought her dress from, that her Mom didn't want her to buy a new dress, so she had to buy it with her own money, how most people gave them gas coupons for their wedding present. Made me realize our economy isn't quite as bad as we make it!

Grandpa wanted all the women in the family to go through Grandma's jewelry and Sara and I both agreed that our daughters should have some type of jewelry that belonged to their Great Grandma. The both of us also picked out a broach to were to the funeral while we sang a duet as part of a medley with the grandchildren.

Matt and Sara were such good sports to let us stay with them during the funeral, they immediately went from their Christmas/Anniversary trip up here to having relatives stay with them down there. I never tell them enough how much I appreciate the visits we have and what good hosts they are (hopefully Sara reads this post). Andrea just loves playing with her cousins and it takes her a few days to adjust being back home and entertaining herself again. I'm always sad I don't take more pictures while I'm down there, I know Matt does so I'll have to ask him for some.
Here is Meryn and Andrea in the bath and Daddy and Andrea wearing their shades before the funeral.

2 comments:

Awesome Oettli's said...

very sorry for your loss. Grandmas are very special people.

Sara said...

You paid beautiful tribute to grandma Helen. I too, loved those times when it was just she and I and she would tell me stories. And please know that you are always welcome at our house. We love having you guys so much. I wish it could be more often, and next time it will be under happier circumstances. :)