Friday, March 21, 2014

California 2014

We decided at least four years ago that when Andrea turned five we would go to Disneyland.  We were hoping that would give us enough time to save, and have her be big enough to not deal with a stroller, and be able to ride most of the rides.  So now that she turned five I couldn't wait to go.  Ryan's work is tricky to plan trips around.  Can't plan for winter, because he has to plow snow.  Can plan for summer because he's swamped with landscape projects, can't plan for fall because it's winter prep time, and can't plan for spring because it's Summer prep time.  So we just have to plan it and go regardless.

We planned for mid March and I even talked Ryan into flying.  After being married ten years him and I have never flown together.  Andrea is obsessed with spotting airplanes, so I knew she would love it.  Sure enough she did, she loved take off, she loved the snacks and the TV, she didn't get sick, and sat there in quiet excitement the whole flight.  She even thought just watching the planes at the airport was incredible!
We decided to rent a car because Ryan suggested we go to SeaWorld as well.  So although the rental car sat in the hotel parking lot for a few days it was nice to have.  We got a Nissan Altima which we all loved actually, and made sure to get a car seat for Andrea.  She loved the car because it was lower to the ground and she could open the doors herself.  Ryan loved the car because of the push start button and the gas mileage.  I loved the car because it made them happy!

Our plan was to pick up lunch fixins at a nearby Target and eat in the hotel for lunch each day to save money.  That plan didn't work for two reasons, one, our room didn't have a refrigerator, and two, the shuttle took a break each day between 11:00 and 5:00.  So we had to just put the food on ice (that's another story) and we ate it late one night after coming back to the hotel.

The first day and a half were a little discouraging, at least to me.  There was the whole ice issue, the only working ice machine in our hotel was on the first floor, we were on the fourth.  So we had to make sure to grab ice every morning after breakfast, or each night when we got back.  The elevator closest to our room was broken, and the other one was usually occupied by housekeeping.  We decided to go for a swim in the hotel pool the first night we were there.  It was in need of a good de-leafing so I asked the cleaning lady for a skimmer and they actually cleaned it fairly quickly, hooray!

The next day was Disneyland and although you just have to love it, we were bummed that so many rides were closed for repair.  Thunder Mountain Railroad, the Disneyland train, It's a Small World, and Nemo's Submarines.  We got on the Monorail just in time for it to break down, so we had to get off.  The Pirates of the Caribbean ride was also closed (mine and Ryan's favorite), but luckily it opened in time for us to ride it before we left that day.
Carousel
Mark Twain Riverboat
Winnie the Pooh
Fair Godmother
Mickey's House
 Princess Ana (we had to wait 40 minutes just to see her)
 Caught Pluto right before leaving the gates for the night.

We thought going during the school year would mean less crowds, but like everything else, my plan didn't pan out for that either.  The first ride of the day, Peter Pan, was a 45 minute wait, and that was about average for all the rides.

To top off the frustrating day I was still on Utah time and we got to the shuttle pick-up an hour early.  And although it had been hot all day, once the sun went down it was pretty chilly.  Thank heaven I had bought a hoodie for myself and my mom, so Andrea and I made use of those. And rather than complain about waiting for the bus she would come up with some game or dance.
That's how she was the entire trip, never complained while waiting, or complained about walking.  She found some way to entertain herself quietly and gave us endless hugs and thanks.

The next day was a great re-boost to my enthusiasm, things went much, much better!  We spent most of the second day in California Adventure, we'd never been before, and we loved it!  Less waiting in line, more interactive shows, and less walking.

The neatest part was Radiator Springs, however the wait for the new cars ride was 85 minutes, it was worth it.  Ryan says that is now his new favorite ride although Andrea didn't like the part when it went fast.
We ate at Flo's Diner in Radiator Springs and that was a nice home cooked meal, turkey, gravy, roll, beans, corn, and Andrea got green mac and cheese since it was St. Patrick's Day weekend.
 I was very tired by lunch time, well,  I'm always tired.
Although our original plan of eating in the hotel room didn't work out, I was pleasantly surprised by the healthier options Disneyland had for food.  One day Andrea got a "power pack lunch" of apples, carrots, yogurt, a banana, and fish crackers.  Which she would pick any day over chicken nuggets, or a corn dog, so we were both happy.  Plus they always had an option of veggies or fruit rather than fries with each entree.

That night we went back to Disneyland to see the parade and ride the monorail which was working again then got to the shuttle pick-up right on time :)

The next day was a leisurely day on our way to San Diego.  We first stopped at the Queen Mary which was mine and Ryan's pick, of course, Andrea wasn't too interested.  It was awesome to see such an old ship and the "crowds" were nowhere to be found, most areas it was just us.  Also on the Queen Mary there is a special exhibit of Princess Diana's dresses, and some other royalty keepsakes.  Ryan was nice enough to let me buy tickets for that, I figured it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
The engine room
 Top deck
 Steering wheel
After the Queen Mary we headed down the coastal highway (big mistake) to San Diego.  Didn't realize it was spring break for a lot of colleges so every beach town was slammed and we were in stop and go traffic for a few hours.  We were afraid we would run out of sunlight before we got to the hotel so we hit a random beach on the way (Carlsbad beach) so Andrea wouldn't miss the experience of building a sand castle and finding seashells.
That night when we got to our hotel I can't tell you how exciting it was to have a refrigerator in the room, a clean swimming pool, and the housekeeping had their very own elevator, imagine that!  I guess you've got to have the bad to appreciate the good! Both hotels had complimentary breakfast which we knew, and helped make our decision in booking them.  But after three mornings of the same scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage, and bacon we were excited at all the options the Holiday Inn Express had.  We could pick pancakes, cinnamon rolls, bagels, biscuits and gravy, muffins, yogurt, cereal, sausage, and fruit.

So Sunday morning we spent the day at SeaWorld.  Very different from Disneyland, more shows, less rides. Our favorite show was the Sea Lion show, it was hilarious, I have a new dream job of either being a dolphin trainer or a sea lion trainer, they both look so loving.  We were disappointed in the Shamu show.  Although it was impressive to see such large whales and their tricks, it was mostly just a lot of jumping and splashing.
Luckily we had pretty much seen it all when I started getting a headache which quickly turned into heat stroke.  Apparently my Utah body wasn't ready for 80 degree temperatures four days in a row yet.  Let's just say I made it back to the hotel just in time.  And Andrea and Ryan were so patient in letting me rest a while.  Andrea wanted to swim in the clean pool so I got to watch from the lounger while they had fun.
 The next day we took a quick drive through Old Town San Diego before heading back up to Long Beach to catch our flight home.  Although Ryan and I both have a history with motion sickness on planes both rides were pretty smooth, just bumpy the last few minutes.  Ryan had me worried the ride home because he was already not feeling well that day, but we made it with no incidents! I love flying, so I told him I've had my fix for a few years now, but I will expect to fly again someday.  Hopefully next time it's to another country!

I'm so glad we got to take this trip with Andrea.  It was nice not having a stroller and just my little purse to carry.  I am so blessed to have a loving, patient husband and a grateful, well behaved daughter who I love making memories with.  I know it will be a trip to remember for a lifetime, and I have four new Christmas ornaments to make sure we always remember!

3 comments:

Tati said...

I LOVED reading this! I am so jealous! I can't wait to take my kids some day...in a few years when they can ALL enjoy it! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a blast! You all look great :)

sflo said...

Super fun! I really love Disneyland. Some of our favorite rides were closed when we went too. Bummer. I'm so glad you got to go. Our rough plan is to go when our youngest is five, too. Dan and I did that trip ten years ago that same week for our honeymoon. Just swap Sea World for The San Diego Zoo. It was cooler though; in the seventies instead of eighty.